Controller – Joplin, Missouri
- Job Status: Filled
- Posted On: April 7, 2023
- Job Category: Finance and Accounting
- Position Type: Full Time
- Location: Joplin, MO
- Desired Experience: 5+ years
- Desired Education: Bachelors
- Travel: negligible
- Relocation: Yes
Gateway Sourcing is assisting a client in search of a Controller to support their manufacturing company. This permanent and onsite position not only involves extensive cost accounting and financial knowledge, but also effective analytical and communication skills, business acumen, as well as an ability to work effectively and constructively with diverse teams.
**This person should have at least 6+ years of cost accounting experience working with a manufacturer.
Are you ready for your next move to a Controller role for two plant locations within a large manufacturing organization? This company loves to promote from within!! If you are a self starter, with manufacturing, cost accounting, ERP, and strong Excel/analysis experience—this could be a great fit. Your manager has already been promoted once in a short time. In this capacity, you will perform all aspects of operational finance requirements including month-end closing, cost and variance analysis, development of annual product standard costs and related analyses, analyzing inventories, ensuring that manufacturing costs and related assets and liabilities are understood, auditable and properly recorded
- Participate in the monthly closing process ensuring work requirements are completed in a thorough and accurate manner
- Partner with Plant Manager and proactively identify and execute on cost savings initiatives.
- Perform month-end close duties for MO & TX locations.
- Track, analyze and report inventory valuations to management, ensure valued inventories have accurate quantities and are properly valued in accordance with GAAP.
- Analyze cost accounting data and assist with cycle count/physical inventories.
- Review, investigate, and correct errors and inconsistencies in transaction entries, documents, and reports.
- Complete assigned account reconciliations and related analysis monthly to identify potential discrepancies in account balances.
- Calculate and analyze the Excess & Obsolete Inventory Reserve.
- Prepare data for yearly standard setting process for finished goods, components, and core parts, update and review standard and actual costs.
- Establish, maintain, and review standard costs; maintain reports to assist with the development of product costs
- Acquire a detailed understanding of the company business model, processes, procedures, and plant accounting internal controls
- Support all audit requirements for MO and TX plants and ensure audit demands are met in a timely manner
- Maintain schedules, support, and analytics for year-end financial audit.
- Establish detail part number reports to ensure the Cost of Goods Sold section of the financials are compliant and correct.
- Work with plant operations in gathering all required information to submit fixed asset forms for approval or to retire fixed assets
- Work with plant operations team to complete and review CAPEX projects.
- Perform analyses on assigned accounts to determine trends, estimates, and significant changes.
- Develop and prepare various reports and operational packages to provide support to plant operations.
- Analyze actual manufacturing costs and prepare periodic reports comparing standard costs to actual production costs
- Work with operations on new and proposed product cost estimates
- Review and analyze inventory and margin reports, conduct research, and perform analytical studies regarding cost analyses.
- Participates in the preparation of the annual product cost development, analyze and report budgeted variances, and perform volume, component, and core costing analysis.
- Participate in the preparation of required budget schedules.
- Prepare monthly variance analysis to support accurate and timely reporting of monthly actuals to various internal customers
- Participates in the coordination and preparation of operating forecasts vs budget, as required.
- Preparation of weekly and or mid-month projections of operations performance, as required other duties
- Support implementation of Oracle cost accounting system
- Train, coach, and mentor 1-2 direct reports
- Support for process improvement projects
- Work with External Auditors and provide support.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or 6+ years of relative experience.
- 5 years plus of cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment.
- ADVANCED Excel Skills; open to testing with pivot tables and vlookups.
- ERP Software Experience as a user, helping with our Oracle financial software implementation.
- Proven history of being a self starter, bringing ideas and helpful analysis to the plant manager.
- Previous managerial experience. This position will manage 1-2 personnel in the beginning.
- Experience working with engineering and manufacturing personnel on development and analysis of cost standards and other issues.
- Ability to travel to other manufacturing sites as needed, generally a maximum of 10%.
- Experience with NAV or Oracle ERP system
- Prior exposure to remanufacturing is a plus
- Excellent verbal, written, and organization skills
- Self starter that doesn’t require micromanagement.
- A confident individual who sees themselves with the necessary learning capability, skills and attributes to fill a larger position in 3-5 years
- Highly analytical; able to resolve both simple and complex issues in a manner that supports business objectives, is sensitive to the internal control environment and promotes process efficiency/effectiveness on a consistent basis
- Effective interpersonal skills; expresses thoughts clearly, is an active listener and a “team player”
- Strong communicator both orally (informally and in formal presentations) and in writing
Location: Onsite in Joplin, MO, with some travel to south Texas plant. Also only occasional travel to various distribution centers in the US and Reynosa, Mexico. Generally maximum 10% travel overall.
Compensation: This is a permanent position and compensation will be competitive, and commensurate with experience. This company also offers full medical and dental benefits, other comprehensive benefits, along with a 401k matching program; and it is a bonused position.
If you are qualified and interested, please forward your resume with a cover note.Apply Now