Process Controls Engineer (Iowa)
- Job Status: Filled
- Posted On: June 25, 2020
- Job Category: Engineering, Information Technology
- Position Type: Full Time
- Location: Iowa
- Desired Experience: 5+
- Desired Education: Bachelors
- Travel: Negligible
- Relocation: Yes
Gateway Sourcing is assisting this well-established manufacturing facility identify an experienced Process Controls Modeling and Development Engineer to support their operations. This company is a leader within their industry and invests heavily in process and technology. If you are looking for a company in an excellent suburban location and good culture, this could be a great place! Benefits are outstanding.
This position will be responsible for software engineering and process engineering functions including: analyzing process performance, design and development of process changes, managing the implementation of process improvements, and project management of related engineering activities.
- Develop methods and practices that will improve the quality of products, expand the product mix and reduce manufacturing costs through specialized application and use of automation technology.
- Design, develop and manage process-related, modeling, engineering and research projects with the objective of developing new methods and practices that will ultimately reduce production cost, improve yields and provide better product quality.
- Maintain control models related to precision closed-loop industrial control.
- Provide expert advice, system troubleshooting and direct hands-on support to the Maintenance and Operating groups in the following specific functional areas while ensuring compliance with established specifications and industrial standards:
- Optimizing the Reheat Furnace control including heat transfer, heat content and practice development.
- Also, managing the Steckel Mill control including AGC, AWC, shape control, pass-to-pass adaption, thermal modelling, gap control calculations, tapering, roll bending compensation, work roll thermal camber, work roll wear, Pinch Roll control, laminar cooling heat transfer and mechanical equipment limitations.
- Maintaining and improving Electrical systems, specifically Ansaldo, Siemens and Allen Bradley-brand equipment.
- Other equipment includes a downcoiler, hot plate leveller, cold static shear, cold plate leveller, plate pilers and slitter.
- Plan and coordinate activities related to the concept, bidding, final design, bid evaluation for the construction, modification and maintenance of facility equipment.
- Plan and coordinate activities related to the concept, final design, bidding, bid evaluation for the construction, modification and maintenance of facility equipment.
- Establish standards and procedures for installation, modification, quality control, testing and acceptance procedures required for the successful implementation of the projects.
- Perform the maintenance responsibilities for programming and software support for Level 2 process control systems related to heating and rolling steel plate in the absence of regularly assigned personnel.
- Exercise sound engineering and economic judgement and discretion due to the physical and economic impact his recommendations will have on the overall operation of the Plant.
QUALIFICATIONS – EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or related scientific field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience programming industrial process control systems, including interactions between layers of systems in a large manufacturing facility
- Previous work experience with industrial control computer processors, multi-tasking operating systems, real time communications systems, (PLC) programmable logic controllers, fluid flows, heat transfers, thermodynamics, modeling –and the ability to integrate them into a working process control system.
- Experience using either Fortran, C, C++, C# or VB.NET programming languages in the workplace is required.
- Good problem solving, organizational and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Project management experience
- Experience preferred in working with DEC VMS or Open VMS operating systems, DEC Alpha processors, DEC UNIX operating systems, Ethernet and ARCNET real time communications systems, Siemens or Allen Bradley Programmable Logic Controllers
- Database management: MS SQL or Oracle desirable
LOCATION Iowa (relocation assistance may be available) – not a remote or virtual opportunity
TRAVEL: Negligible, but may be required to travel by plane to other company locations once in a while. This is not a travel position.
COMPENSATION: This is a permanent position and compensation will be commensurate with experience. This company also offers bonus opportunity, full medical and dental benefits along with a 401k matching program
If you are qualified and interested, please submit your resume and cover letter.Apply Now